Friday, February 14, 2014

If it's not One thing...and When it rains, it pours!

I have been absent for the past month.  2014 has not been nice to my family.  Burst pipes, hospital visits, frozen heat pump condenser and a neighbor accidentally driving through my yard and breaking stuff, has kept me busy.  (My neighbor if fine btw.)  I've been watching my fellow BBQA folks show off their work and I've been so jealous, as I haven't had time to sew.  I'm finally caught up and have my miserable attempts to show for it.

The first 3 blocks we did were 4-patch, which I pieced with ease, but the FMQ (especially the Spirals...made me dizzyand want to cry!).  Here are my efforts.

 These are my practice blocks that will be made into a Puppy Quilts.  One of the BBQA'ers, Hazel suggested this use, and I am all for it.  I'll be binding them up and taking them to my local shelter.
   These are my "keepers", such as they are...
I know I still need lots of practice.  So I expect there will be  many more of these.











Our  second set of blocks are 9-patch.  I'll just go ahead and say I hate doing 9-patch.  It's not my thing.  So here are the results of that hot mess!

 I realized the marker I used was making the lines too wide, so I've ordered new from Leah Day's shop ( http://www.leahday.com/).  She has a great sale going on through the 18th.  ZORRO is building me a light box too.  I know that will help.
And here, my "keeper".  I did so much of this side to side, as I like testing my limits and those of my machine.  Can you see where I missed a tiny half line?  My Noni always said "No quilt is perfect, if you look hard and long enough, you'll find the mistake.).  Wise woman...she knew me well!






I do like to practice a bit before I start and was so satisfied with my 1st practice piece, I may have been a bit too confident.
This was all done side to side, and I thought I was hot stuff when I finished.  My other blocks tell a different story.









I also watched this video this past week.  For those of you who  use Sergers and dread buying multiple spools of the same color, it's a great saving tip.

http://moonthirty.com/serger-thread-hack/#more-819

I'm still learning to take my foot COMPLETELY off the pedal when I stop.  I have a few extra stitches here and there as a lesson to myself.

Linking up with Leah Day at the Free Motion Project and on Facebook at the BBQA group.

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/


https://www.facebook.com/groups/buildingblocksquiltalong/

Stay warm and dry out there...I'll be at my machine.

MrsMelanieVarela

1 comment: