Thursday, December 12, 2013

Quilts In Que: FMQ Friday...

Tomorrow is Friday.  It will be my first  time sharing a blog post on other blogs.  There are a couple I will be sharing with.  Please keep in mind when viewing my work, I know about piecing a quilt (I have shelves full of books to help me with that!), but I've always been a quilt tie-er or a stitch in the ditch quilter.  Always leery of trying to get too fancy or stepping into the unknown.  When I came across Leah Day on Youtube, I found a new desire.  FMQ.  Yep, she inspired me to try it out.  I'm very much in the beginning stages.

Here is the quilt that inspired me to visit Youtube to learn.

This is a crib quilt for my Grandson Myles.  I found these lovely fat quarters and thought I could "make" my own panel.  I satin stitched them up, used a French Curve to make my waves, and a little poorly appliqued sail boat tucked in the waves.  I really wanted the boat to POP...and I think it does.  Maybe a bit too much.  I really wanted to get those swirls in the waves and some ripples in the water.  The areas of dotted fabrics will have pebble FMQ, and the areas with rectangular print will (I hope) look like cliffs.  I'll FMQ some clouds in the lighter sky area.   There are still touch ups to the satin stitching to come, and some  stabilizer to pick out.  Next time I'll use water soluble.

I'm also working on a True Lover Knot for our Oldest daughter and her husband.  I echo quilted all around the knot, then realized what a bad job I was making of it.  So it's all got to come out.

There's so much to pick out, but I know I'll be happier for it.  I'll give you a front photo after I clear out the mess I made!

Linking up with http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com




4 comments:

  1. LOVE the boat quilt! I think Myles is gonna love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sympathetic about the ripping! I put a bunch of quilting in my current project (I'm on about hour 6 of hopefully not more than 8 of ripping) that I hated, but I think it will be worth the effort of re-doing it. Otherwise it'll bug me forever! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Myles is a lucky boy! Your imagination in using these fabrics is wonderful. I too always try to see the unique possibilities in fabrics that aren't necessarily designed for landscapes or seascapes but can be turned to that use with a little imagination. You are a natural! I can't wait to see this when it's stitched; I don't care if you are a FMQ novice, this is going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ladies. I'm having so much fun with this. I feel like I got lucky finding these fabrics. It's very exciting to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete